Skip Navigation

How to Request a Student Transfer

PGCPS SY22-23 Student Transfer Season: August 1st through August 5th, 2022

PGCPS will accept student transfer requests for the 2022-2023 school year from August 1st through August 5th, 2022. Parents and guardians of students currently enrolled at a PGCPS school can submit transfer requests electronically through the SchoolMax Family Portal. Portal access is limited to parents and legal guardians with an active SchoolMax Family Portal account (username and password). A list of schools currently accepting transfers is below.

Parents and legal guardians of students that are not currently enrolled but have a student identification number can request a student transfer form by sending an email to or by contacting our office at 301-567-8751. Completed forms must also be emailed to Students entering kindergarten who have not been currently enrolled in a PGCPS Pre-K or Early Childhood Center (ECC) program must request a transfer form.  Transfer forms will not be issued or accepted for PGCPS students.
Every effort will be made to notify parents of decisions prior to the start of the new school year. The Office of Student Records, Transfer and Archival Services can not be held responsible for receipt of notifications if addresses have not been updated in the Student Information System (SIS) SchoolMax. Parents and legal guardians are responsible for ensuring residence addresses and email addresses are captured accurately in SchoolMax.

Student Transfer Requests Frequently Asked Questions

What You Need to Know

  1. PGCPS processes student transfers during the months of April to May of the current school year for the upcoming school year. A second window will open in late July for new residents and parents/legal guardians that missed the first window.
  2. A Student Identification Number is needed in order to process a transfer.
  3. Current parents/legal guardians must submit transfer requests through the SchoolMax Family Portal. Make sure current addresses and emails are updated in SchoolMax for notifications. 
  4. Transfer requests to schools with enrollment that exceeds state-rated capacity, specialty schools (including lottery) or private schools will not be considered. 
  5. Bus transportation is not provided for transfer students.
  6. Transfers for Pre-K and ECC please contact the early childhood office.

How to Submit a Transfer Request

Parents/guardians who would like to transfer their child from their neighborhood school to another PGCPS school may submit a transfer request during the open student transfer season (usually within the months of April and May of the current school year for the upcoming school year). Transfer requests may be submitted outside of the transfer season only for the following reasons:

  1. Families who moved into Prince George's County after the transfer season ended.
  2. Families with students with health issues or other documented compelling reasons for changing schools. Documentation must be verified by a PGCPS attending physician or health professional.
  3. Families moving to a new neighborhood who wish for the student to remain in their current school until the program or school year ends (Administrative Recommendation Needed).

How to Submit a Transfer Request – Currently Enrolled Students

  1.  Set up a SchoolMax Parent Portal user account
  2.  Your student must continue to attend the current school until you receive official notification that your transfer request has been approved.

How to Submit a Transfer Request – New Students ONLY

  1. Complete the enrollment process at your neighborhood school to get a family ID number.
  2. Please call the office directly at 301-567-8751. Your child's enrollment status must be verified.
  3. Your student must attend their neighborhood school until you receive official notification that your transfer request has been approved.